While most modern cars come with the decent speakers, there is always a scope of enhancing the overall sound. For that, you need not replace the existing speakers but only upgrade the audio system by installing coaxial speakers to rejoice with a more performing sound.
The mixed bag of coaxial speakers is a good option, as it unites tweeter and woofer on the same axis, making the sound more profound and complex. It also ensures projection of a full sound as well as frequency range from one speaker.
In these speakers, the tweeter is at the pole or is hanged over the bridge to give high-frequency sound. On the other hand, the woofer is much like a loudspeaker. Easier to install and wire, coaxial systems are debatably the most admired speakers.
Most former car speakers featured paper cone technology that is susceptible to easy wear out in just three weather cycles. Further, these worn out cones possess micro cracks making the sound quite terrible. This problem no longer exists with the 6.5-inch coaxial car speakers. These robust models come with more durable cones rightly designed to cover full frequency range.
Buying Factors to Consider
It is essential to choose the right coaxial car speaker for having the best buy for money. Practically, you obtain what you pay for. A few models are well designed with nice sound balance. Due to no hassle in installation, these models are the choice of those who wish to upgrade from factory units quickly.
However, it can be confusing to choose the best coaxial system due to a variety of specifications and features. To simplify this task, here are some factors to consider.
- Frequency Range of Sound: This indicates the emitted frequency of sound measured in Hz. You will find it in the format of low to high range, such as 50 – 23,000 (23k) Hz. Consider buying a model with a wider frequency range for having the ideal tuning level.
- Power: This refers to the quantity of required power to perform well, which is also the limit above which it becomes tough to tackle the power. All models have two major power ratings namely, Peak indicating the power handled during short bursts and RMS showing the power tackled continually. Both are important but RMS is more important one to consider.
- Sensitivity: This indicates the volume produced at the specified power rating. Consider buying a model with more sensitivity, as it would mean lesser consumption of power and more efficiency. All higher sensitivity models are low powered ones.
- Woofer: This indicates the effectiveness and overall quality. Consider a model with woofer made up of lighter and stiffer material. Such models are stronger and more effective to work nicely at high volume. Examples include polypropylene, Kevlar, aluminum, and titanium. Also, check out the woofer surrounding that should be durable, lightweight, and made using free moving materials.
- Advanced Crossover Circuits: These are essential for efficient running of speakers and balanced sound.
- Size: You need to ensure that the model chosen fits into your car.
Top 3 6.5-inch Coaxial Car Speakers
1. Rockford Fosgate R165X3
Rockford Fosgate R165X3 Prime 6.5-Inch Full-Range 3-Way Coaxial Speaker – Set of 2:
This full range model is ideal for replacing the traditional speakers to offer premium sound quality at a great value.
It features two dome ceramic tweeters, Mica polypropylene cones, low impedance voice coil for grabbing more power from amplifiers, grilles, and a bass blocker design for bass effect mitigation. It has a midrange drive separating the woofer and tweeter (a typical 3-way design).
|Frequency Range||52 – 20,000 Hz|
|Pros||Affordable, great sound quality, clear mids and highs, fine speakers|
|Cons||Somewhat lacking bass, distortion at higher volumes.|
Pioneer TS-A1675R 6-1/2″ 3-Way TS Series Coaxial Car Speakers:
This model features a 3-way speaker with a mica matrix cone (multilayer) for excellent music quality. It runs nicely with factory stereo power, employs low-cost but unique materials, and comes with an appealing appearance mixing up with most car interiors.
A high-temperature voice coil contributes to the best minimal sound interference apart from giving home theater sound quality.
|Frequency Range||35 – 31,000 Hz|
|Pros||Good power handling, home theater quality sound, minimal interference, affordable but high quality and durable materials|
Polk Audio DB521 5.25-Inch Coaxial Speakers (Pair, Silver):
This dynamic model is efficient and technologically advanced to regenerate music like never before in a car, SUV, or a truck.
The mica cone woofer and Silk/polymer tweeter ensure smooth sound at any volume, while a rubber surround augments bass response apart from lifting the lifespan of the speaker. The marine certification ensures versatility to use in many applications.
|Frequency Range||35 – 22,000 Hz|
|Pros||Lightweight, great surround sound quality, great bass although not ground pounding, ideal volume, durable, good at highs and lows.|
|Cons||Narrow frequency range, not so crisp quality.|